Ranunculus & Anenomes

IMG_0042.jpeg

Ranunculus and Anenomes were new to me two years ago. New varieties have made them very popular for wedding work and very desirable by florists, so I thought I would give them a try. I have not had the greatest experience with them but, mistakes can smarten you up, sometimes. I am determined to get them right.

They grow well in pots as well in an area not too windy, a mistake I made last year. But in our climate (Zone 5b) they have to be pulled and stored over winter each year, which add to the labour involved.

I start them on early February by soaking and pre-sprouting to give them a jump start, as they bloom about 90 days later. I have had a struggle with locating them in a spot where the wind and Hot sun won’t do them in. I think I have the problem licked this year so Spring is looking up!

Soaked Ranunculus ready to place in moistened vermiculite for pre-sprouting.

Soaked Ranunculus ready to place in moistened vermiculite for pre-sprouting.

Keeping vigil over soaked tubers making sure moisture is maintained.

Keeping vigil over soaked tubers making sure moisture is maintained.

Three weeks later each little club looks like this!

Three weeks later each little club looks like this!

These are pre-sprouted Ranunculi from last year.

These are pre-sprouted Ranunculi from last year.

Worth all the trouble!

Worth all the trouble!

Just starting to open!

Just starting to open!

So after three weeks of soaking and pre-sprout little Anenomes are starting to sprout so they get booted up!

So after three weeks of soaking and pre-sprout little Anenomes are starting to sprout so they get booted up!

I do admit to trying an experiment over the winter to see what I had to do to improve my chances of not having to dig up my tubers and corms. Fall planted Ranunculus & Anenomes are more productive than Spring planted and our Climate makes it impossible to have fall plantings of them. So I planted out a small number of tubers & corms in the fall, surrounded by a thick layer of straw. Then I added a very healthy amount of mulched leaves covering them and then covered the whole area as a low tunnel. They looked good at the end of December, but January was very cold and so is February at the moment. I am worried that they may not have made it but if they do I know what I need to do next fall so I can do fall plantings now!